ABSLTA aims to advance the profession of British Sign Language “BSL” education in the UK through its ongoing commitment to professional development and its promotion of the interests of its members and BSL users to the public.
ABSLTA will seek to achieve its aims by:
- Providing a forum in which its Members can come together and offer each other advice and support;
- Encouraging its Members to sign and adhere to a Code of Practice which includes a commitment to the Aims of ABSLTA and Continuing Professional Development;
- Promoting the importance of BSL Teachers, Assessors and Verifiers having relevant qualifications; Advertising appropriate qualifications and Continuing Professional
- Development courses; Developing, providing and monitoring opportunities for Continuing Professional Development;
- Providing advice and information to its Members and the wider public; Engaging in activities that will enhance the status of British Sign Language and its teaching and supporting and co-operating with any other organisations in activities that do the same, including making representations to governing bodies as appropriate;
- Promoting the education in BSL profession and working proactively with other organisations and professions to shape its future development.